Re: Disarm Mechanic

Let's be honest, I feel like most saber vs. saber fights are the two jedis throwing their sabers at each other hoping they aren't the one that gets disarmed.

I think arguments about "risk vs reward" don't really hold up when nobody really understands what causes disarm. You all make it sound like saber throw is this calculated tactical thing when it's pretty much random as far as I'm concerned whether you get disarmed, and M2 is your only realistic option for attacking. Virtually nobody goes for M1 saber attacks unless neither of you have force points.

Well, I think it's clear we are never going to agree on the complete removal of disarm.

What about my other suggestions? I think there really is no reason to stop force regeneration while disarmed, can we at least implement that?

And I personally would like to see a reduced cooldown on summoning your saber back, like 1.5-2s. I think the 3s cd is way too punishing, would love to at least test what it feels like with less.

Grab wrote: Like, jedi is super strong since saber blocking "fix". Jedi was also strong before. Do we really want O jedi be even more stronger?
This has no impact on the strength of jedi classes. No one is balancing classes around with disarm in mind. All this would accomplish, is make an annoying aspect of playing jedi classes more tolerable.

Onasi wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:58 am Well, I think it's clear we are never going to agree on the complete removal of disarm.

What about my other suggestions? I think there really is no reason to stop force regeneration while disarmed, can we at least implement that?

And I personally would like to see a reduced cooldown on summoning your saber back, like 1.5-2s. I think the 3s cd is way too punishing, would love to at least test what it feels like with less.
I'm good with these suggestions. I think definitely the cooldown improvement should be explored. I am also good with the regen improvement in theory, but if you think about it, the regen issue will actually be improved as a side effect of improving the cooldown, since you will spend less time regeneration-less. Thus, I think we can get away with only doing the cooldown improvement.

BTW didn't Vader try to throw his saber at Luke in ROTJ and get disarmed for a while? I think he had to walk over and pick it up. Maybe you should get auto-disarmed any time you throw your saber so siege can be more lore-friendly.

Duo wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:43 pm BTW didn't Vader try to throw his saber at Luke in ROTJ and get disarmed for a while? I think he had to walk over and pick it up. Maybe you should get auto-disarmed any time you throw your saber so siege can be more lore-friendly.
I hear your OT reference, and shall respond with an old republic footage, containing an actual saberthrow that dealt 0 damage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm4JEZudf0c&t=178

I remembered you can modify sabers in JKA in .saber files. There are many flags for many things. So if you want to remove disarm, you don't need to mod it.
  Reveal hidden contents
//maxChain
maxChain 0 - how many moves can be chained in a row with this weapon (-1 is infinite, 0 is use default behavior)

//throwable
lockable 1 - whether or not it can be stuck in a saber lock

//throwable
throwable 1 - whether or not it can be thrown

//disarmable
disarmable 1 - whether or not it can be disarmed (dropped)

//blocking
blocking 1 - whether or not user will try to block incoming shots (shots always bounce off it, this just determines if the user *tries* to block with it)

//twoHanded
twoHanded 0 - whether or not it requires 2 hands (makes it restrict force powers but makes it stronger in locks or parries)

//force power restrictions
forceRestrict 0 - what force powers it restricts, use these keys, a seperate entry per power:
FP_HEAL
FP_LEVITATION
FP_SPEED
FP_PUSH
FP_PULL
FP_TELEPATHY
FP_GRIP
FP_LIGHTNING
FP_SABERTHROW
FP_SABER_DEFENSE
FP_SABER_OFFENSE
//new Jedi Academy powers
FP_RAGE
FP_PROTECT
FP_ABSORB
FP_DRAIN
FP_SEE

//lockBonus
lockBonus 0 - this pushes harder/weaker in saberlocks

//parryBonus
parryBonus 0 - this is stronger/weaker in a parry (harder to break, more likely to knockaway)

//breakParryBonus
breakParryBonus 0 - this is more/less likely to break a parry

//disarmBonus
disarmBonus 0 - this is more/less likely to disarm another saber in a saberlock or knockaway

singleBladeStyle none - makes it so that you use a different style if you only have the first blade active

singleBladeThrowable 0 - makes it so that you can throw this saber if only the first blade is on

brokenSaber1 none - if saber is actually hit by another saber, it can be cut in half/broken and will be replaced with this saber in your right hand
brokenSaber2 none - if saber is actually hit by another saber, it can be cut in half/broken and will be replaced with this saber in your left hand

returnDamage 0 - when returning from a saber throw, it keeps spinning and doing damage