Turrets bugs and improvement request

Bug: Using cloak when turret is shooting at you makes turret:
  • shoot you after getting full cloak;
  • shoot you without a break;
Bug: Destroyed offline turret uses "online" shader(red light is pulsing) after respawn;
Bug: You can't turn off(via trigger) destroyed turret. After respawn turret is still online;
Improvement: Make turret radar icon hidden when:
  • turret is offline;
  • turret is destroyed;

Re: Turrets bugs and improvement request

Never knew of all these turret issues before. I fixed the following:
  • Big Hoth turrets can now have an icon if the "icon" key is specified (gets removed on death).
  • Fixed not being able to re-activate inactive Big Hoth turrets.
  • Fixed not being able to trigger dead turrets.
  • Fixed inactive dead turrets lighting up when respawning.
  • Fixed issues with using cloak or changing teams while being targeted by a turret or Big Hoth turret.
  • Turret icons are now removed if the turret is killed and cannot respawn.

Grab wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:01 pm There is still one bug. Real range is always smaller than specified. On this pic I am within right turret range, it aims at me and makes sound but it doesn't shoot me.
  Reveal hidden contents
Also we should remove splash from turrets. I got killed by it yesterday. Noone expect it to do splash damage.
yes

This is caused by the code for turrets detecting targets within a box, but only firing at targets within a sphere.

Changing it would be a nerf to turrets, since currently they can spin up while you're in the box and then fire at you once you've moved into the sphere. With the "fix", they wouldn't spin up until you're in the sphere, so they would start shooting at you later and have less time to shoot at you.

Is it a bug? Arguably yes, arguably no.
Would it be a nerf to "fix" it? Objectively yes.

We have to tread lightly when "fixing bugs" that affect gameplay. I don't think it should be changed.

Splash damage on the other hand, is just fucking retarded since it's just a small blaster shot and not a turbo laser. All of the "small turret" code was copied over from star destroyer superlaser code, and my guess is that they just changed the values to be a lot smaller rather than deleting them entirely, out of fear of breaking something. The splash radius is absolutely tiny: less than one-fifth of the radius of a blob, so it only damages people in extremely unusual cases where the shot hits extremely close to them without actually hitting them. This can safely be removed without affecting gameplay in 99.99999% of cases.

Duo wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:43 pm Changing it would be a nerf to turrets, since currently they can spin up while you're in the box and then fire at you once you've moved into the sphere. With the "fix", they wouldn't spin up until you're in the sphere, so they would start shooting at you later and have less time to shoot at you.

If that could affect gameplay I think it shouldn't be changed.