Re: Rcon vote pass/fail feature

Absolutely do not do this. What even is a "troll vote"? A vote you personally would vote no on? You can't even call votes that'd be considered malicious (warmup/gametype). The only use for this feature is for an admin to kill votes they don't like.

Are you serious with vote pass? Like what use in your mind does that have? Oh, people don't like the votes I'm calling so I'll use admin to force them through. There is never a reason to do that. I have 0 faith that this will not be abused by an admin at some point so the best way to avoid that is not to add this feature at all. If forcing your own stuff through with rcon is currently unacceptable why would taking down a vote or forcing one through ever be.

If you don't like whatever map was called vote no and move on, if it goes through play or leave. Before you come back with, "what about 2 people in game colluding to put it on X map while people spec?" Do you really think you can forcefail a vote before they've voted yes? Just wait and kick people who do that for no reason. In that 1 specific instance which never happens even then this feature is useless.

Kicking people for "lulz" in the middle of the game, I think everyone knows what I mean. People who are kicked are not coming back. I have seen few such cases and many attempts, I don't want to give examples with names.
Duo wrote:...why you are currently unable to prevent such a vote.
What do you want me to do here? I have no power to prevent this vote. If vote is passed and the kicked guy is not coming back then pug will be dead. If I kick or ban the guy who called this vote our community will be just smaller.

I don't like also when someone calls /unpause or /q vote in the middle of the game, this is really annoying and I don't want to toggle on/off these cvars via rcon while I play the game.

Alpha made this feature for whoracle on my request, if you have so little faith in the admins that they won't abuse it that just highlights an entirely different issue.

Votefail and votepass has proved to be useful on many occasions, especially votefail: saves time if someone miscalls a vote, prevents grab from callvote-spamming his modified korriban map and so on. I don't see any reason not to implement it, it's already coded after all, all that needs to be done is importing the feature.

I disagree. The practical use of these commands is limited. There are hardly any troll votes in siege and, if one is by chance called, fails immediately. Ctf has an issue with trolling. I almost can't stand to play a match anymore because someone is pistol only, playing only *insert map name*, or just ruining the game by some other means. On top of this, the ctf community actively encourages troll votes. People will vote yes (seeker, alfa, zeme, endy etc) for stupid maps "just because." So, it follows that such a feature is needed to police the ctf community. Sometimes I swear the average mental age of the community is 10. There really isn't a need for this outside of enforcing personal agendas.

We are not talking about making a votefail/votepass feature from scrap though, it's already written and is in use on whoracle. All it would take is a few clicks and a new compilation and it could be up on elysium.

As for troll votes, you can't really define what is a troll vote and what isn't, bad maps may not be that bad for other players, and occasionally there is nothing wrong with a little messing around. These votes are sure as hell not used to "police" the ctf community in any way though, they are just a safety measure.

Once again, I don't see any reasons not to import this already existing feature to elysium. I mean if a wild admin loses control and abuses it duo can just disable it again.
Just think of that time when some random lugormod guys very pissed at sith decided to ruin siegepugs, by joining the game over and over again. Whoracle already had lockteams vote for months at that time, all it would have taken on elysium is to just call a vote and mute the random guys in spec and you could have just carried on playing siege. But the vote was not imported to elysium, admittedly, there was no reason to have lockteams vote at the time, seeing how small the community is anyway.

If it was imported though, as a precaution, it would have been available when needed.

Edit: Why is síth autocorrected to dem0n???? Abuse omg
Last edited by hannah on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Onasi wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:29 pm
Just think of that time when some random lugormod guys very pissed at dem0n decided to ruin siegepugs, by joining the game over and over again. Whoracle already had lockteams vote for months at that time, all it would have taken on elysium is to just call a vote and mute the random guys in spec and you could have just carried on playing siege. But the vote was not imported to elysium, admittedly, there was no reason to have lockteams vote at the time, seeing how small the community is anyway.

This isn't really relevant though it's a totally different feature to protect from people who don't want to play. The only use for vote fail/pass is for an admin to enforce their will on map choice, which defeats the point of votes. The only example you've given is Grab spamming votes for "shitty map" since this is subjective I take exception anyway and there is a cooldown in vote calling so people can call a different vote when it inevitably fails. At the end of the day majority rules if 4/6 people want to sillyroom you either get on with it or leave you don't kill the vote because "troll map" before people can decide. Sometimes something different is fun, I'd like to play a few different maps to what we normally do but with this feature there would be 0 chance of that because anything different from the usual 3/4/5 maps is "trolling" and would be killed. Accidental vote calls are your opportunity to use the vote no button.

Edit: btw it's from scratch rather than scrap it doesn't really make sense but what does in English. Actually I looked it up and it comes from: the scratch drawn in the ground serving as the starting line of a foot race. A runner “starting from scratch” received no handicap, but started at the beginning of the course.