Re: Star Wars: Episode IX

hannah wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 am
ghoul wrote: Well for me, all star wars films are in this category " Amazing films that I think have added a lot to the star wars universe and I can rewatch them any time"
I used to be like that as well but then I played the kotor/swtor gamed and they have forever changed my perceptive of good stories.

I rated ep6 one of the lowest because of the re-use of the death star. I always disliked that they couldn't come up with anything new.. I was not very amused when I saw ep7 and realised they once again re-used it..

This is exactly why I didn't like the second half of 7.

ghoul wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 amRe-use of death star in VI was never problem to me, i felt like: ok they failed once but why not try again? with better security?
But it still blew up if you shot a missile in one spot, you just had to fly a little bit more to get to that magic spot

Duo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:42 pm
ghoul wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:45 amRe-use of death star in VI was never problem to me, i felt like: ok they failed once but why not try again? with better security?
But it still blew up if you shot a missile in one spot, you just had to fly a little bit more to get to that magic spot
It wasn't finished :) maybe finished version would be less vulnerable? and it had shield gen.

Regarding the death Star blowing up easily: the reactor is a critical component and a hit to that will blow up the station. Their downfall in ep4 was the small hole you could bomb it from. As the death Star isn't yet complete this is still exposed but you can only assume that a finished death Star wouldn't expose the reactor in this way. It also makes sense for the Empire to want a new death Star as it's destruction would have brought hope, they needed a tool to replace the senate and it drew out the rebellion so they could be defeated.

Had the emperor's plan worked the rebellion would be destroyed and he would have his death Star thus cementing the Empire's power. I just thought bringing it back was a bit boring but it does make sense in the world.

Black wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:17 pm Regarding the death Star blowing up easily: the reactor is a critical component and a hit to that will blow up the station. Their downfall in ep4 was the small hole you could bomb it from. As the death Star isn't yet complete this is still exposed but you can only assume that a finished death Star wouldn't expose the reactor in this way. It also makes sense for the Empire to want a new death Star as it's destruction would have brought hope, they needed a tool to replace the senate and it drew out the rebellion so they could be defeated.

Had the emperor's plan worked the rebellion would be destroyed and he would have his death Star thus cementing the Empire's power. I just thought bringing it back was a bit boring but it does make sense in the world.
Ah yes, technically different - the best kind of different. That's like if I made a movie where the main character breaks their right leg, and then I made a sequel where they break their left leg. They are different and therefore not lazy film making.

Duo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:20 pm
Black wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:17 pm Regarding the death Star blowing up easily: the reactor is a critical component and a hit to that will blow up the station. Their downfall in ep4 was the small hole you could bomb it from. As the death Star isn't yet complete this is still exposed but you can only assume that a finished death Star wouldn't expose the reactor in this way. It also makes sense for the Empire to want a new death Star as it's destruction would have brought hope, they needed a tool to replace the senate and it drew out the rebellion so they could be defeated.

Ah yes, technically different - the best kind of different. That's like if I made a movie where the main character breaks their right leg, and then I made a sequel where they break their left leg. They are different and therefore not lazy film making.
Yes I agree my point was the in world reasons for it are fine imo but I just think the film would have been better taking a different route entirely from a planet killing spacestation.

ROS spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents
It's kind of lame that they had to reuse the planet-destroying weapons YET AGAIN (fourth time) in Rise of Skywalker. Like it wasn't enough that the bad guys will have access to thousands of powerful new ships, they have to also be mini death stars.

Duo wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:26 pm ROS spoiler
  Reveal hidden contents
It's kind of lame that they had to reuse the planet-destroying weapons YET AGAIN (fourth time) in Rise of Skywalker. Like it wasn't enough that the bad guys will have access to thousands of powerful new ships, they have to also be mini death stars.
  Reveal hidden contents
Also agree, although it did feel different and it didn't take too much focus (probably because there was so much happening) but, I would rather it had been something else that could still create urgency and a now or never vibe.

I don't know, I always thought the second death star wars rushed and stupid. It took them 16 years to build the first death star and finish it, then within like what, 1 year? they build half of a new one and even make it functioning? I find it hard to believe.

I don't know, there is no point dwelling in what if's but, can you imagine how awesome a film would have been where the Rebel Alliance actually launches a full scale attack on Coruscant? Similar to ep3, just with much cooler spaceships. Luke would have to infiltrate Republica 501, or maybe the ruins of the Jedi Temple. The Imperial Headquarter gets destroyed, the 2 Sith Lords are dead, and the Rebel Alliance reassembles the Senate, and declares the birth of the New Republic. To me it's nothing but lost potential. Hell, kotor1&2 did something like that and I thought it was awesome. In ep6 they just blow the second Deathstar up, and that's it. Meh.